I’m spending this weekend at home in hopes of catching up on homework, seeing my family, and getting some things together for next week. I don’t come home very often, so I want to take this opportunity to share the details of my room at home (for the details on my apartment in LA near USC, click here). My room at home is a bit more spacious than my room at school, so I’ve had more options in terms of decorating. There are a lot of “personal touches” and DIY projects in my room, so I will explain them all below!
1. The best part about my room is the PAINT JOB. I absolutely love the unique, decorative faux technique that was used to create my silvery-blue walls. I’ve always thought that it looks like the sky, but that might be just me. The lady that painted my walls also painted a decorative, vine-like accent around the chandelier’s molding that I find to be the focal point of the room.
2. This crown was originally a metallic gold, but my mom and I spray painted it to a rustic silver color that matches perfectly with my silvery-blue walls. I bought some black, airy curtains from Target and attached them to the rod that runs along the inside of the crown and voila! I love my canopy!
3. Don’t judge me – I know this poster is silly, hahaha. I got this Marilyn Monroe wall canvas at the OC Swapmeet a few years ago with some friends. I thought the quote was applicable to my life and just had to have it! I found the wrought iron Fleur de Lis wall decoration from a place online.
4. This is what I like to call the “sitting area,” however, I will probably never let you sit on this couch 😉 It is my favorite piece of furniture in my room! I got it a few years ago at Shabby Chic and have been stashing clothes and handbags on it ever since.
5. Okay, so you’re wondering why I posted a picture of a beat up wooden chair. This chair has been in my room for literally as long as I can remember – it was even in my childhood room at my old house. It is my mom’s old cheerleading chair from when she was in high school, which she painted with flowers and put in my room when I was little. When we moved, she was set on throwing it out. But I am a #hoarder and made her keep it. I repainted it black to match my room, which you can see has chipped off a bit over the years. I think it deserves a fresh coat, so you can expect a little DIY in the near future 🙂
8. This is my new jewelry tray from Michael’s. I got it on sale and am so obsessed with it that I recently went back to Michael’s to get two more (in gold). I might have to take this back to school with me!
9. My mom and I found this gem in a furniture store on PCH in Laguna Beach. It was originally a light blue pastel color, but I had them paint it black and rough it up a bit so that it still had the slightly imperfect “Shabby Chic” finish to it.
Thanks for reading about how I decorate my room! If you have any questions about where I got something or need advice on decorating, please leave it in the comments and I will make sure to reply.